Monday, September 14, 2009

The Quest For Life...


Recently, as not many of you may know, I was pulled over on my second DUI within a year. As we all know, the first one didn't go over that well with the parents, and there were times that were rocky at best, and borderline of me getting kicked out of my house and home. After much time taken away from the drinking/partying scene, I again returned to my stupid routine, and slipped up. As you can imagine, this didn't fly over very well with the "free living" with the parents. After the first offense, I was given the ultimatum that I had to discontinue hanging out with the people that I knew before, and start a new life with people that are "making something of themselves." I was rather confused as to what exactly "making something of themselves" actually entails. Before it was people that have graduated college and have a job. After I hang around with a group like that, and I got in trouble on my own accord, my parents blamed the people that I was hanging out with because "they're losers that spend their entire lives in a bar..." And if I was to continue hanging out with those people, I would turn out to be like that. COP OUT! I made the decision to drink and drive, and I am paying the consequences.
During the course of my first DUI, I was constantly beat up by my parents, calling me "scum of the Earth, an embarrassment, a criminal," etc... My parents threatened to the throw me out if I had another one, and of course, true to their word, my mom attacked me Sunday afternoon, and told me if I'm not going back to school this quarter, then I could get out, because they're not going to let me just live my life there for free. The look on their face when I walked out was almost priceless, because I don't think that they realize that I'm never coming back. I say that because I feel the only major flaw I've had in my life is them holding me back from being who I want to be. I'm not willing to sacrifice living my life just because I have made some mistakes. I'm not going to sit around a house with them and get beat up physically and emotionally, because no one deserves that. I'm an adult, and at times, although I don't act very mature and make grown up decisions, but it's about time for a change. I stepped out of the house and was greeted with a fresh breathe of air. I walked away from the only house and home I've ever known, and was finally out on my own.
Walking down the street with nothing but 2 small bags packed with clothes, and 2 bags of shoes, I walked with a different sense of pride. I felt like I was adventuring out to something new, something I've never done before. Although I had a sense of exactly where I was going, Chris and Sara's place, I still knew that this time it was for real. This time I wasn't turning around to talk to my parents again and beg for mercy... This time I was finally saying goodbye for quite possibly the last time. I had lived under their tyrannical (®) rule for so many years and just couldn't stand the oppression that I was withstanding for so long. I had every aspect of my life constantly judged and set forth for me like a slave. I was able to seek refuge in the helpfulness of all of my friends, whether it was a "good luck" or "you're doing the right thing," or in my case, an "I got you man, you can crash here as long as you need too..." Although I don't like being in the situation because I would like to be able to fend for myself, but financially I'm strapped with the upcoming court date and such. I'm just so thankful that I have true friends that would give up their time, home, etc just to help me out. It goes to show how true your friends are to you, and for them to say, "I would hope that someone would do the same for me in your situation," just goes to show me that this is the person that will always have your back no matter the situation. I have a great girlfriend that time after time impresses me more and more with how much she can handle and still show consideration for what's happening in my life. I have friends that are just as great as Chris and Sara, and I would not give them up for anything in the world. I'm so glad that for once in my life, I took the high road, and went against the grain and ventured out into the unknown, taking the road less traveled. I would just like to say thank you again to everyone that has offered help, rides, etc, and just overall shared kind words to help me through this rough patch in my life. I am trying my best to accept responsibility for my actions, and just knowing that I have the backing of so many people is really, truly helping me through this.
As for what the future holds, I'm not really too sure. I know that currently I do not have the money to find a place to live just yet until I go to court, sell my car, buy a new clunker, etc... I anticipate a big life change however. I've been talking with a few people, and I am seriously considering possibly leaving the country for a year to teach English oversea's or something possibly among those lines, or possibly joining the armed services, but nothing is in stone yet. I will have to see how things go in court on September 22nd. I really do appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers, and everyone knows when they are in a bind, don't hesitate to call me, my phone line is always open...

No comments: